Diplomacy’s gone digital, and as a copy editor working with JAB Innovative Solutions, you’ll join a team of content professionals shaping foreign opinion on policy issues.
- Edit and reviews 20-30 articles, photo galleries, texts, and interactive materials daily for style, content and accuracy. Draws on in-depth regional and thematic knowledge and experience to edit textual and graphic materials that provide background and context about U.S. government policies, U.S. national interests and related issues, as well as the traditions and values that underpin U.S. policies and interests.
- Keeps managers apprised of the status of projects and suggests improvements to existing systems and processes to achieve greater efficiency and productivity in program operations.
- Publishes material on Share.America.gov in a timely manner using the IIP Content Management System (CMS), currently WordPress. Tailors and adapts online content with the addition of headlines, hyperlinks, photo captions, graphic materials and summary statements. Selects materials to feature prominently on the homepage and uses the CMS to update the homepage on a daily basis. Researches and selects photos for the website; drafting and editing photo captions; reviews audio and video materials for content, policy appropriateness and accuracy; works with IIP writers and program officers to ensure the accuracy and appropriateness of materials published on the website; and develops, coordinates and executes special projects or studies.
- Knowledge of best practices for tagging and SEO to ensure content is able to reach its maximum audience.
- When called upon, develops, researches, organizes, and writes accurate, clear, concise, readable material on a broad range of issues relevant to U.S. foreign policy directed expressly to a non-U.S. audience.
- Writes in plain English, under time pressure, in a style suitable for Web publication and meeting a high standard of professional journalism.
- Provides editorial support for electronic journals and other publications, and materials supporting Bureau Web chats and other electronic outreach programs.
- Edits materials prepared by other writers for accuracy, clarity, grammar, syntax, punctuation, and style before publication and in other IIP information products and services. Also edits content to ensure appropriateness for international audiences and adherence to IIP content and style guidelines, and to provide policy, editorial, and technical guidance to fellow writer-editors.
- Stays thoroughly informed about foreign policy developments, including those in the State Department and other government agencies, Congress, the courts, and international organizations, including formal and informal statements of policy, laws, and regulations, as well as pending bills and regulations, and meetings and other events.
- Produces weekly newsletters and other distribution resources to optimize content engagement and reach.
- As the ‘flextime’ copy editor, work will often start with one editor and then be handed off to the ‘flextime’ editor to complete based on deadline. Ability to complete projects with limited guidance or context and background and to get up-to-speed quickly is required.
- Work in a fast-paced environment with quick turnaround times, multiple revisions from a variety of stakeholders, and extensive clearances. Ability to navigate a fast, ambiguous, and changing environment required.
- Work independently to put out content on a short deadline.
- Exercise excellent judgment around sensitive and high-profile U.S. foreign policies given limited supervision.
- Actively and on a daily basis interacts with Basecamp, Slack, Google Apps, and any calendaring or production platforms adopted by the bureau. Supplies editorial chief with accurate and complete accounting of all editorial projects in progress on a schedule specified by office management.
- Copy Editor Experience: 3 years (Required)
- Public Policy: 2 years (Required)
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- Active Secret Clearance (Preferred)
- JAB will initiate clearance for selected candidate
Job Types: Full-time, Contract