Reports to: Director, Strategic Engagement Team
Location: Mountain View, CA or Washington, DC
About the Role
The Defense Innovation Unit (DIU) is growing its digital presence. In particular, DIU’s Strategic Communications Team is also growing its marketing, collateral, and thought leadership product suite and expanding community-building events to ensure the Defense Innovation Unit (DIU) message is effectively reaching our target audiences.
As we continue to push our digital content and outreach strategies we must ensure that our content is high-quality, on-brand, and effectively distributed.
The Digital Content Manager’s primary roles and responsibilities will be the day-to-day creation, and distribution of content, from blog posts to social media posts. This position makes sure that DIU content is on-brand, on-message, and published on schedule. But this role goes beyond just publishing content on time. We are looking for a true multitasker able to also think creatively about new opportunities to help DoD’s startup organization.
Specifically, we are looking for a person who can:
- Create Content – We are looking for someone to create high-quality, on-brand content that engages and informs our target audiences. This could involve writing website posts, crafting social media posts, sourcing and selecting images and graphics or curating video content so strong writing and creative skills are a must.
- Plan Content – We are looking for someone who can devise and understand DIU’s overall digital content strategy and, accordingly, generate a content calendar to ensure that there is a steady stream of fresh, relevant content being published to meet the goals of our strategies. This person should work with the team to help solve broader challenges through digital content means.
- Distribute Content – We are looking for someone who can understand our target audiences and know the best channels to reach them through distributing our content effectively across social media, email, our website, and other channels to reach the right people at the right time in the right voice.
- Optimize Content – We are looking for someone well-versed in SEO, GA4 and social media platforms who can optimize content. This includes the understanding, analysis and usage of social media tagging, crafting compelling meta descriptions and titles to make sure our content is written in a way that it can reach the largest possible target audience.
- Measure Content – We are looking for someone who can measure the effectiveness of our content through analytics and KPIs. We are interested in engagement rates, traffic, and conversions to help inform our Content Strategy effectiveness and future direction.
- Manage Internal Content – We are looking for someone who has strong attention to detail, is comfortable managing internal files, and can oversee our internal photo repository.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, related field or applicable experience
- 3+ years related experience
- Strong writing and creative skills
- Strong experience of social media platforms and posting best practices
- Knowledge of best practices for writing style, social media, SEO, and GA4
- Familiar with Content Management Systems (CMS) to edit and create website content, we use Contentful
- Ability to consider different ways to tackle a problem and weigh the pros/cons of each
- Ability to understand and navigate current events and applying proper tone and cadence
- Ability to acknowledge and callout gaps, shortcomings, and opportunities
- Ability to both collaborate on and lead initiatives within a flat team and delegate tasks (to outside vendors and internal teammates alike) when appropriate and without prompting
- Strong time management skills and the ability to iterate quickly while incorporating feedback from multiple sources
- Strong attention to detail and eye for graphic design
- Collaborative skills across in-person and online teammates
- Ability to obtain Secret Clearance
About the Defense Innovation Unit (DIU)
DIU’s mission is to:
- Accelerate DoD adoption of commercial technology
- Transform military capacity and capabilities
- Strengthen the national security innovation base
The Defense Innovation Unit (DIU) strengthens our national security by accelerating commercial technology adoption throughout the military and growing the national security innovation base. DIU partners with customers across the Department of Defense, including the services and combatant commands, to rapidly prototype and field advanced commercial solutions that address national security challenges. With offices in Silicon Valley, Boston, Austin, Chicago and the Pentagon, DIU connects its DoD customers with leading technology companies across the country.
DIU is the only DoD organization focused exclusively on transitioning commercial technology to the military at commercial speeds. We are focused on six technology areas where the commercial sector is operating at the leading edge: AI, autonomy, cyber and telecommunications, energy, human systems, and space.
You can see DIU featured on PBS NewsHour here: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/how-the-pentagon-joins-forces-with-silicon-valley-startups